Mr. & Mr. Kincaide

Written By: LJ


Love fills good times with laughter,
Difficult times with caring,
Ordinary days with contentment,
Special days with joy,
Today with memories,
Tomorrow with hopes and dreams,
It makes all things possible.

************

Darby paced nervously in the area behind the rose trellis that had been designated for him and Shelley to await the organist’s signal.

“Darby, relax! You’re going to wear yourself ragged before you even get out there,” his ‘Best Person’ and best friend advised.

“It’s easy for you,” Darby gripped, talking another turn around the small enclosure. “You don’t have to speak in front of all those people.”

“I understand you being nervous, but it’s not as if this is the first time you’ve been before a large group.”

“But it is the first time I’m saying something so private in front of so many.”

“Here, let me pin this boutonniere on you,” Shelley offered, hoping to give the skittish groom something else to think about.

“Thanks, Shel!” Darby gave her a sheepish grin and took a corsage out of the box Rowan had left on the lawn swing. “May I?” he asked, holding it out to her.

“Of course!” Shelley stood still and gazed down to watch Darby attaching the flowers to the front of her dress.

Darby slipped his hand inside the bodice of her gown, the back of his fingers lightly brushing against her breast. “Sorry,” he murmured, blushing and removing his hand. “That should hold.”

“You know, Darb,” she said softly as she smiled up at him, “if you weren’t gay, this might have been our wedding.”

“You’ll always be my best friend and I’ll always love you, Shel!” Darby whispered and leaned in to kiss her.

“Hey! How come you’re kissing HER, Uncle Darby?” They turned to see a very indignant young boy glaring at them. “You’re supposed to be marrying Uncle Rowan!”

“It’s just a kiss between two special friends, Aiden.”

“Do you love her?” the boy asked suspiciously.

“Yes, but not in the same way as I love your Uncle Rowan,” Darby gently explained to his ring-bearer.

“Okay, I guess you can kiss her then,” he begrudgingly granted them permission after taking a moment to think it over.

Darby and Shelley look at each other, chuckled and then relaxed.

“Ready?” Shelley asked when they heard a pause in the music. They both grimaced when the organist hit the wrong key as she began to play the musical selection that indicated the start of the ceremony.

************

Rowan had been standing off to one side quietly conversing with his long-time friend. When the music changed, he slowly walked out to take his place on the right side of the small makeshift altar that had been set up in their gazebo. Accompanying him was his Best Man, Jayson, and his nephew, Alexander, the second ring-bearer who was carrying a small white satin pillow. A gold ring lay on the pillow, tied in place with a light blue ribbon. Inside, it was simply engraved with the words ‘Forever Rowan’s’.

Rowan glanced at his parents as he walked by them. He smiled at the familiar sight of them sitting so close together with his father’s right arm around his mother’s shoulders and their left hands intertwined. His own eyes misted momentarily when he saw the tears of happiness in his mother’s eyes and the look of pride on his father’s face. They had looked exactly like that for all his siblings’ weddings.

Rowan stood patiently waiting and wondering what was taking Darby so long to enter from the other side. There was no way for him to know the hold up was caused by a small boy’s need to have his shoelace retied. He had just turned a quizzical look in Jayson’s direction when the second half of the wedding party put in an appearance. Rowan watched the love of his life slowly coming towards him. His chest swelled as his heart beat increased and the lump in his throat grew bigger. He blinked back the moisture forming in his eyes as Darby moved closer and closer.

Walking arm and arm with Darby was Shelley, his Best Person, her hand lightly resting on Aiden’s shoulder. Aiden was carefully carrying a pillow matching the one his twin brother, Alexander, was holding. The slightly larger ring rested on it and inside it read ‘Forever Darby’s’.

When Darby was near enough, Rowan took a smaller hand in his and looked into the beautiful green eyes of this man whom he loved with all his heart. Shining in those eyes, for the entire world to see was the profoundly deep love the young man had for his soon-to-be husband.

The minister cleared his throat and the two lovers turned to face him.

“It is one of the beauties in life when a meeting of two life-paths, lead them to form a common path as life-long partners. It is one of life’s greatest joys when a casual relationship grows into a lasting bond of love. It is one such meeting and growth that brings us here today. We have gathered here to celebrate Rowan and Darby’s marriage. By their commitment to marry each other, they are saying yes to love, yes to caring, yes to sharing.”

He then spoke directly to the two young men in front of him. “Rowan and Darby, will you take vows here before all of us; vows that will symbolize the commitments you will make to each other at this time and throughout your lives?”

“We will!” Rowan and Darby answered in unison.

“Please join hands.” Reverend Michaelson said and waited until the grooms had done his bidding before reading the poem from the book in his hand.

These are the hands of your best friend.
These hands are young and strong and full of love for you.
These hands are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow and forever.
These are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future.
These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years.
These are the hands that, with the slightest touch, will comfort you like no other.
These are the hands that will tenderly hold you when fear or grief fills your heart.
These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes.
These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it.
And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged, will still be reaching for yours, and still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.”

“Darby and Rowan, please share your vows with each other.” the Reverend instructed.

Darby looked up into Rowan’s deep blue eyes and trustingly vowed in a soft-spoken voice: “Today, a day of music and celebration, I pledge to share my life with you. Today I choose you, Rowan, as my life-partner and I consider it a privilege to be the one you have chosen to give your name to, a name I will always cherish. From this day on, I will stand by your side and sleep in your arms; and for you, I will try to be the most that I can be. I promise to laugh with you in the good times, to cry with you in the bad times; to wipe your tears with my lips; to comfort you with my body; to lift you up when you are down; to share with you all my dreams and accomplishments. I pledge before these assembled people to be your husband, your companion, and your helpmate from this day forward and to always love, honour and respect you.”

Rowan tenderly gazed into Darby’s sparkling green eyes and solemnly vowed in an emotion-filled husky voice: “Not long ago I was a man standing alone. Now I stand by your side and with you I will walk my path from this day forward. Today I cross the threshold with you to enter into a new and lasting lifetime commitment. Today I join my life to yours, not merely as your husband but as your friend, your lover, your confident. Let me be the one you lean and rest upon; let me be the companion of your life. To marry the one I have set my heart upon is a joy unparalleled in my life. Darby, take this pledge as a sign of my faith and my commitment to our love and share this joy with me.”

“What do you give each other as a symbol of these pledges?” the minister asked.

Shelley untied the ring on Aiden’s pillow and handed it to Darby, giving his hand a gentle squeeze. Her eyes were shimmering as she looked into the handsome face of her best friend.

Darby’s voice was only loud enough for those closest to hear. He tried to fight down his emotions as he held the ring before the large, strong hand resting in his. He recited the words he had memorized. “Rowan, I didn’t know I was only half a person until you came into my life and made me whole. I was cold, you gave me warmth; there was darkness in my life, but you brought me sunshine; I was lonely, you gave me companionship. I am giving you this ring as a symbol of my love, my heart, and my soul. I promise to cherish you all the days of our lives and to spend my lifetime giving you back all you have given me.” Darby’s voice broke as he whispered, “I love you!” He leaned down to kiss the ring he slid on the third finger of Rowan’s left hand.

Darby’s tears were almost the older man’s undoing as Rowan took the other ring from Jayson, who offered a silent message of support. He swallowed in an effort to rid himself of the lump in his throat and to speak clearly and succinctly. “Love has given us a map for our future together and our journey begins anew today. Take this ring and with it my promise of faith, patience and love for the rest of our lives. Wherever the road may lead us, we’ll walk by each other’s side. I love you, Darby, more than I can ever find the words to express.” He slid the ring on Darby’s finger and raising the slender hand in his, he kissed the ring.

The minister allowed the grooms a few seconds to regain their composure and get their emotions under control before saying, “These rings are the outward sign of an inward bond which ties these two men’s hearts in endless love. These rings are seals of the vows Rowan and Darby have made to one another. Let each of the rings symbolize for you, the unity in which your two lives are joined in one unbroken circle.”

The Reverend then lit two white taper candles and said, “As these flames burn bright and strong, may their light bring this union between Rowan and Darby to grow in joy and love.”

Each of the grooms pick up one of the candles; turned to each other and held the flames together to make one flame. They then lit a single white candle sitting on the small altar and blew out the tapers they were holding.

Reverend Michaelson continued, “May this fire of love kindle your passions for each other throughout all your years. Let the wedding bells toll, let the joyous laughter of love ring true, for the day has come when two become one and begin their life together. May the joy of this day guide and show you the way as you walk hand in hand for the rest of your lives. I now pronounce you legally married. You may kiss your new husbands.”

Rowan bent his head to bestow a chaste kiss on Darby’s lips. Seeing the need for more on the younger man’s face, Rowan wrapped his arms around Darby, lifted him off the ground and deepened the kiss. It was the Reverend’s throat clearing that brought the lovers’ kiss to an end. Rowan smiled into his new husband’s face and winked as a beaming smile made its’ way back to him.

Then under the minister’s directions, Rowan and Darby together with Jayson and Shelley, walked over to the side where a table was set up to sign the documents that would register their union.

Reverend Michaelson stood at the altar and addressed those gathered there. “Inasmuch as these two young men have come before their family and friends and have declared their love and devotion to each other, I now ask you to greet them as Rowan and Darby Kincaide.”

Rowan and Darby stood side by side as members of the congregation came up singly or in small groups to offer best wishes. Kalev and Mira were the first to approach the new couple.

“Congratulations, boys!” Rowan’s father declared as he pulled each of them into his arms and kissed their cheeks. “Welcome to the family, Darby,” Kalev warmly showed his approval of his son’s choice of a lifetime partner.

“It was a beautiful service, my dears. I am so happy for you both,” Mira said, hugging and kissing them while wiping away her tears. “We’ve considered you a son for some time now, Darby, but as of today you are legally ours.”

While their friends and family steadily made their way up to Rowan and Darby, others were quickly and as quietly as possible, rearranging the chairs and setting up tables for the reception.

As soon as Jayson could break away for a few moments, he made his way over to his life-partner, Riley. The younger man had been sitting with Glen and TJ. The three of them were presently helping Dennis, Dusty and Skyy with the meal preparations that were underway.

“Miss me, sweetheart?” Jayson gently teased as he put his arm around Riley’s shoulders and kissed him. As Best Man it was Jayson duty to stay with Rowan, at least until the dancing started. “Man, I’m starving!” he said, reaching out to take a roll out of the basket the other man was setting on a table. “I’ll join you later, babe,” he said, giving his lover a final hug and strolling towards the head table.

It took another half-hour of what Riley referred to as ‘organized confusion’ before everyone was seated. Several young people poured champagne into glasses while the rest of the guests followed the wedding party to the buffet table and began to fill their plates with the delicious food that had been prepared by loving hands the day before.

Once everyone was seated, Trevor stood up and introduced himself as the Master of Ceremonies.

“Thank you all for being here to celebrate this special occasion. On behalf of my parents, my brother and sisters, and myself, I’d like to welcome Darby as the newest member of our family. You’re our parents’ second young….what?” he leaned over to hear what Rowan was saying, then asked, “He’s younger than Erin? I thought he was older…sorry about that. Well, according to Rowan, you’re actually the youngest now, Darby,” he chuckled. “Anyway, we are all proud to have you as one of us. Is there anyone here who does not know everyone at the head table? Really? Okay, guess I’ll have to make the introductions. The beautiful young woman on my far right; is Darby’s best friend and Best Person, Shelley Mandel. Of course, you all know the grooms, right? Just in case, next to Shelley is Darby and then Rowan. The man sitting beside me is Jayson Stoneman. He’s my brother, Rowan’s, best friend and Best Man. I’ve already told you who I am so I’ll let you get back to your meal. Ah, one more thing…if any of you needs help opening your lobster, just ask my Dad or Logan how to do it. We could have had them already opened for you but thought it would be more interesting letting you do it yourselves.” With that, Trevor sat down to look over his notes and enjoy his own meal. He had been asked by Rowan, not to talk at any length about past family events or childhood experiences, because Darby had no one from his family to do likewise.

A little while later, Trevor got to his feet and patiently waited for the talking and laughter to abate.

“I’ve been told it is customary for the Best Man to offer a toast so I’ll turn the spotlight over to Jayson,” Trevor joked.

“Spotlight or hot spot?” Jayson quipped, pushing back his chair. “I consider it an honour to be here today in the capacity of Best Man for my best friend. Rowan and I have known each other for over ten years now. We met as a result of him answering an ad I had placed in the university newspaper, requesting someone to share my apartment. He was a freshman and I was a junior. We hit it off right away. Several days after Rowan moved in, we acquired another roommate, Glen, who was also a freshman. Somehow, we picked up the name of ‘The Richmond Gang’. We had a lot in common, such as similar interests in sports and taste in music. I have to say my two roommates where a little wild that first year, but I don’t want to get into that with Rowan’s parents sitting right here,” Jayson grinned and looked at his friend. “Fortunately, they had the advantage of having an older, more mature roommate to help them settle into university life without muddling through all the pitfalls of being away from home for the first time.”

“Older, yes! MORE MATURE? No way, man!” Glen heckled from a table near the back of the reception area where he was sitting with his partner, TJ, and Dennis, Dusty, and Skyy. Rowan laughingly nodded his agreement.

“Humph, as I was saying, a more mature perspective prevailed. I kept you guys out of a lot of trouble and you know it!” Jayson continues his baiting of the two other men. “On a more serious note, I want to extend my best wishes to Rowan and Darby. I know without a doubt these two men belong together. I’ve been privileged to see the empty spaces in Rowan’s life fill up with the joy and happiness Darby has given him. Congrats, Row! You, too, Darby; love ya both!” Jayson toasted the two grooms before hugging them and sitting down amidst cheers and clapping from the other guests.

“Sounds like someone might have needed a good Top back then,” Darby teasingly whispered in Rowan’s ear.

Rowan didn’t respond to the jibe, he just gave his Brat a rather calculating look that would have had the younger man speculating had he seen his partner’s expression.

Still chuckling, Trevor got up and asked Shelley to say a few words. “Maybe you have a story or two you can share about Darby’s misspent youth.”

“Darby never really got up to much because he was always so shy and quiet,” Shelley smiled fondly at her friend as she got to her feet. “But I do remember one incident that stands out just because of the surprise element. When I was sixteen years old, I asked my father if I could put up a Christmas tree. Of course, being Jewish, he wouldn’t allow it. A few days later, Darby and I were at a Rummage Sale at the local community center and spotted one of those old aluminum trees with the gaudy blue balls and ribbons. We got the whole thing for a dollar. We had barely finished setting it up when my father came in and saw it. He hit the roof and it was usually at this point that Darby would make his escape. Instead, he spoke up and said, ‘Excuse me, sir. That’s not a Christmas tree, it’s a Chanukah bush.’ My father was so flabbergasted, he let me keep it.” That got the audience laughing and helped Shelley relax.

“Cheeky little rascal, weren’t you?” Rowan softly chuckled in Darby’s ear before kissing him.

“Darby and I have been best friends forever, well since Junior High anyway. We have had a lot of great times together, shared joys and sorrows, and somehow managed to make it through our teenage years together unscathed, and I want to give Rowan fair warning that he better never hurt my best friend, or else!” She grinned at the expression on Rowan’s face and left him wondering about the implications of her unspoken promise of retribution. “But, like Jayson, I too know these two men were meant for each other and I wish them a lifetime of happiness.” She lifted her glass in a salute to the newly married couple. “I love you, Darby!” she declared as her voice broke and Darby stood to kiss and hold her close for a couple of minutes.

“Well,” Trevor said, clearing the lump from his throat, “if anyone else would like to say a few words, you are welcome to come up and do so.”

Riley got up from a table not far from the head table where he had been sitting with his friends, Pete and Freddie, and their dates. Shelley’s fiancĂ©, Toby, was also sitting with them. The young men started whistling and calling out to Riley as he stumbled over his words. He wasn’t at all comfortable with speaking in public.

“Ah, Jayson introduced me to Rowan quite a while ago but I’ve only known Darby for a short time. They’re both great guys and a lot of fun whenever we get together, especially at the cabin, right Darb?” Riley asked nervously and cleared his throat. Getting an encouraging nod from his partner, he continued, “This is a big day for you guys and I know just how you’re feeling ‘cause it’s only been three months since I was going through the same thing. You’ll have a lot of special memories from this day to last you the rest of your lives. All the best, guys.” He grinned shyly at the newly married couple and with a sigh of relief, went back to his seat.

“Thank you, Riley!” Trevor kindly acknowledged. “Anyone else? Come on! I’m sure you all have plenty you’d like to say.”

“Yes, we’d like to add something,” Glen announced as he walked up to the head table with his partner. “I want to add my best wishes for Rowan and Darby to have a wonderful life together. TJ and I have know Rowan almost as long as this decrepit, old man has,” Glen indicated Jayson and laughed when the other man rolled his eyes, “but we only met Darby a few months ago. It was easy to see the special companionship they shared and the love on which their partnership has been built. Congratulations, guys!” He walked over to embrace his friends and speak privately to them while his partner waited to say his piece.

“I became a part of the Richmond Gang during my freshman year. By that time, Jayson was in his senior year and the other two were in their sophomore year,” TJ said and looked up at Glen who had returned to his side. “We did have some good times and maybe, just maybe, a bad time or two, but I wouldn’t have wanted to miss it for the world. It’s been neat getting to know Darby, even if we did get off to a rocky start, and to see how great these two guys are together. Thanks for inviting us here today and I wish you much future happiness.”

“I certainly didn’t come all the way out to BC not to put in my two cents worth,” Dennis stated as he took TJ’s place. “I had the good fortune of meeting Rowan a number of years ago when he spent a semester at the same university I was attending in Ontario. We became very close friends in a short period of time. We’ve maintained that friendship even though we seldom see each other due to living so far apart. Although my partners and I only met Darby a few days ago, I feel as if I already know him through my correspondence with Rowan. Dusty, Skyy and I consider ourselves fortunate to be numbered among your friends and we wish you all the best life has to offer!”

Soon the speeches had come to an end, the cake had been cut, the meal had ended, and the same group of friends and family that had set up for the reception, now rearranged the chairs and tables once more. This time, they opened up a large area for dancing and the makeshift altar was removed from the gazebo. It was there a small orchestra made up of Darby’s classmates, was presently tuning up.

“This first dance belongs to Rowan and Darby!” Shelley announced and she turned to conduct the musicians as Rowan led his new husband onto the dance floor.

Rowan and Darby moved gracefully to the music, having eyes only for each other. Placing his hands on the bigger man’s shoulders, Darby softly sang the words to the song that he had chosen.

“When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary
When troubles come and my heart burdened be
Then, I am still and wait here in the silence
Until you come and sit a while with me.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up….to more than I can be.”

As the music reached in and caused his heart to swell with joy and pride, Rowan followed the urge to raise his lover up. Putting his large hands on Darby’s waist, he lifted the smaller man into the air and held him at arms’ length above his head as he slowly turned a circle in the middle of the dance floor. When the music gradually came to an end, Rowan lowered Darby and wrapped his arms around him to hold him close to his chest. He bent his head to gently brush his mouth against Darby’s, then allowed the kiss to deepen and lengthen until they both became oblivious of anything else as they continued to move smoothly to the beat of their own hearts.

The two lovers regained awareness of their surroundings when the thunderous applause from their family and friends finally registered.

Jayson walked over and handed each of them a glass of champagne. His own eyes filled when he saw the tears of joy on his friends’ faces.

This precious moment in time was over but never to be forgotten, as the musicians began another song and others moved onto the dance floor.

Not long afterwards, Trevor stepped onto the gazebo. Upon learning that Darby would be responsible for the music, the Master of Ceremonies had put in a couple of special requests. He signaled his newest brother-in-law to join him in front of the orchestra.

“Excuse me, Ladies and Gentlemen,” Trevor spoke loudly to get everyone’s attention. “I have something to share with you. When Rowan was a baby, my parents purchased a new stereo system and a variety of tapes to go with it. One particular song became a favourite of my kid brother. My mother would set the stereo on replay and it seemed as if that song would go on for hours as she rocked him to sleep. I’ve made arrangements for Darby to play this song so Rowan and Mom can dance to it one more time.” Trevor looked over to see a knowing smile on his brother’s face as Rowan escorted his mother onto the dance floor.

Shelley stepped up to the microphone to sing while the orchestra under Darby’s direction played ‘Angel of the Morning’.

When the dance was over, Trevor introduced the next musical number. “This is my parent’s song and has been since they started dating. Dad, Mom, if you’ll take your places…..” he invited as he nodded for the musicians to begin playing ‘I Love How You Love Me’.

“No wonder you knew all the words to this old song, Row,” Darby whispered as Rowan stepped over to his partner’s side. “I bet you’ve heard it a gazillion times.” He was remembering a special time when he had asked Rowan to sing to him and this was the song that just happened to come up on the CD player.

It was an hour later, when Jayson quietly asked Rowan, “Ready to leave? The plane’s waiting.”

Rowan had asked Darby to pick any place he wanted to go for a honeymoon. He had been pleasantly surprised at the young man’s choice and had made all the necessary plans to make his partner’s wishes come true.

“It’s time, Sweets,” he murmured in Darby’s ear.

Although most of Rowan’s family and a handful of their closest friends knew the couple would be taking off at sometime during the evening, only Jayson knew exactly when they would be leaving, and only Jayson knew where they were going. At a pre-arranged signal from Rowan’s Best Man, Dennis provided a distraction by escorting his partners onto the dance floor and demonstrating the art of dancing as a threesome to the tune of ‘You Say It Best When You Say Nothing At All’.

As inconspicuously as possible, Jayson led Rowan and Darby out to his SUV where their bags were already stowed and drove them to the airport. Rowan had a private four-seater waiting for them on the tarmac and a chauffeured limo was on stand-by at their destination.

“See you next week!” Jayson shouted as Rowan and Darby ran out to the awaiting Cessna Skylark and its’ pilot.

Forty minutes later, they landed at a very small isolated airstrip and were whisked away to the resort hotel where Rowan had reserved a suite. They took just enough time to change into comfortable hiking clothes, before Rowan strapped on a backpack and helped Darby with his. “Let’s go, love!”

They left the hotel and started the long climb up the side of the mountain. It was a beautiful, starry night. The country air was crisp and invigorating. The moon shone down, lighting the way for two lovers as they steadily made their way along the well-worn path through the forest.

Finally they reached their journey’s end. There before them was the almost century-old cabin. It stood empty and uninviting, but it was where the two men wanted to be.

“This is the log cabin built in the 1920’s by the surveyors who worked for the CPR. It’s on this trail that leads to the top of the mountain. I once promised you someday we’d come back to walk up instead of ride and get a close-up view of it,” Rowan spoke softly to his young lover. “Banff is where you wanted to spend this week and fulfilling that promise is my wedding gift to you. We’ve been given permission to stay here for one night. In the morning, we’ll finish the hike to the top of the mountain.”

“This is so great, Row,” Darby murmured. He was a little out of breath after the long climb, but knew it had been well worth the effort. “I love surprises and I would never have expected this.”

“Let’s go inside, sweetheart. Our special night has barely begun.”

Once they were warmly wrapped in a double sleeping bag, Rowan pulled a bottle of champagne and two glasses out of his backpack. Filling the glasses and handing one to Darby, Rowan gazed into his lover’s eyes and tenderly declared, “To us, my love!”

“Yes, to us!” Darby emotionally responded and raised his glass. Clink! “To Mr. and Mr. Kincaide!”

The End

Note: Poems were written by Anonymous Authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment